Below are links, tips, and information about my favorite recording gear.
- Sennheiser MKH416-P48U3 Shotgun Microphone (XLR – condenser – supercardioid)
- Expensive but worth it for balance of quality, low self noise, and off-axis rejection of external noise.
- Records better quality audio than my other condenser microphones.
- Beats most other similar microphones in shootout reviews I watched/read.
- Sennheiser E835 Microphone (XLR – dynamic – cardioid)
- I’ve tested this against many other dynamic mics and it sounds better than all of them to me.
- Tascam DR-100MKIII Portable Recorder (handheld – 2 XLR inputs)
- Tascam’s best quality handheld recorder.
- Very clean preamps and easy to use.
- Great power options: rechargeable internal battery, 2 AA batteries, or external power (can be powered by USB power pack)
- Works with very useful remote control (wired)
- Mackie 402VLZ4, 4-channel Ultra Compact Mixer (2 XLR inputs)
- Mackie is known for quality preamps and sturdy builds – true with this unit.
USB Interface Devices
- BEHRINGER U-PHORIA UMC404HD (4 XLR inputs)
- Great price for a 4 XLR USB interface
Have a comment about the topic of this page?
Scroll down and share it in the Reply/Comments area.
Disclosure: AV Cage is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Some of the links above are Amazon affiliate links which means that if you click on them and make a purchase, then I receive a small commission – but you don’t pay any more than normal.